When it comes to software updates, Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets have had a rough past, and that’s one part Samsung hasn’t delivered to the same level as, say, Google. However, in recent years, Samsung has greatly improved with its software updates and is committed to providing security and system updates, in keeping with the times.
In a major step last year, Samsung announced that Galaxy devices would receive three years of Android operating system updates for all flagships and some of the mid-range devices. Today, however, Samsung has announced that Galaxy phones and tablets will receive security updates for at least four years.
Samsung Galaxy phones have gotten even better in terms of security
Samsung used to install devices with the Android operating system for two years, Android security updates that were increased up to three years. However, the support has now been extended to four years.
However, this new policy applies to newer devices, as Samsung has said that in addition to the latest devices, devices also from 2019 will receive four years of security updates. The policy change applies to the monthly and quarterly security patch release schedules.
The devices chosen include phones from the Galaxy Z, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy A, Galaxy M and Galaxy XCover series, as well as tablets from the Tab line. All of these devices will receive regular security updates for a minimum of four years.
Here is the full list of Samsung Galaxy devices that will receive four years of security updates.
- Galaxy folding devices: Z Fold 1 and Z Fold 2
- Galaxy S Series: S10, S10 +, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20 +, S20 + 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21 + 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note Series: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10 +, Note10 + 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A Series: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M Series: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover Series: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab Series: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7 +
At this point, it’s safe to say that Samsung has gotten very proactive when it comes to sending security updates for its devices every month. The company has been rolling out updates even before Google officially does so.
By extending software support for the devices, the company is extending its commitment to a higher level and providing users with a better experience. Welcome to this movement.