- 1 Create your own Android games and make money: these are the best tips, courses and centers where you can learn video game development.
- 2 I want to learn how to create games for Android, where do I start?
- 3 Courses and centers where to study Android game development
- 3.1 Official courses and cycles to learn how to develop apps for Android
- 3.2 Paid courses to learn how to develop games for Android
- 3.3 Free courses to learn how to develop games for Android
Create your own Android games and make money: these are the best tips, courses and centers where you can learn video game development.
If at any time you have considered getting started in the world of mobile game development, Especially in the branch of creating Android games, You may be interested to know that, so far in 2020, Android games have generated about 6.5 billion euros according to data from Statistician, And can certainly become one of the most profitable businesses within the world of software development. In addition to study video game developmentSpecializing in creating mobile games could be a very good idea for your professional future.
The problem is that sometimes it can be complex to know where and how to start to Develop Android Games |
Therefore, our idea in this guide is to give you the recommendations you need for get started in your career as a mobile game developer, Indicating the technologies that can help you, and the courses -Free and paid- that you can do to learn how to create mobile games.
I want to learn how to create games for Android, where do I start?
Getting started in the world of video game development can be confusing and complex. Especially because, depending on your goals, the path to follow and the tools to perform will be different.
Not all techniques and concepts serve the same way to learn to develop 2D games or 3D gamesNor is it the same to develop lightweight games that do not require connection to create games with powerful graphics that also include multiplayer options.
However, we can specify a series of points essentials that sooner or later you should master if your idea is to end up earning a living as a mobile video game developer.
- Application development: The process of creating a game for Android is not very different, in essence, from creating an app. In both cases, you should be familiar with the Android development kit or SDK, the Android Studio IDE, and other tools for creating and distributing applications or games through the Google Play Store. Therefore, we recommend you take a look at our guide to learn how to develop apps for Android.
- Art and graphic design (2D and 3D): If learning how to design user interfaces is important along the way to learning how to create apps, having certain notions of graphic design when creating mobile games is basically essential. After all, you have to give your games a unique look, with characters, levels, scenarios and other elements that let everyone know that a game bears your signature with the simple fact of seeing a screenshot of screen. Same with sound: unless your idea is to commission the audio production of your games to other people or resort to free music download sources – probably the best way to get started – it’s not more learn how to create your own music and audio effects.
- Development of stories and characters: your first games are likely to be closer to the classic pong than others like This War of Mini. But if your goal is to stand out from the more casual format games, and get fully into the world of graphic adventures or action titles, it’s worth devoting part of your time to learning how to develop consistent and interesting characters and stories. .
This is just a starting point in your career as an Android game developer. Once you are able to master these concepts, the time will come gather the necessary tools to create your games. Depending on the type of titles you are going to create, you will be able to use development engines like unity o Unreal Engine, Or resort to other less powerful tools like canvas, More development – oriented simple 2D games.
Courses and centers where to study Android game development
Learning how to develop games on your own is possible, although not all people are capable of gather the necessary tools with which to boost his career in this field.
Therefore, it may be a good idea to resort to courses taught by online or face-to-face centers, which offer different types of degree or certification and, above all, which concentrate all the necessary information to teach you everything you need to know about the subject, explained in an easy way to understand and assimilate.
Official courses and cycles to learn how to develop apps for Android
For now, there is no one official title of Android game developer in Spain, yet yes there are official studies which teach subject matter related to the creation of games for Google’s operating system.
Higher Degree Training Cycle in Multiplatform Application Development
It is a two-year cycle with official degree and training period in work centers -practices in companies- in which you will learn to develop apps for different types of devices.
The module or subject of Multimedia Programming and mobile devices focuses on the development of apps for Android, and part of the subject is related to the development of games. a la official page of the Ministry of Education you can find a list of all the centers in Spain in which to study this cycle.
In this sense, it is worth mentioning that this training cycle is possible study in person, As well as line through the different distance education systems offered by study centers.
- duration: 2 years (2000 hours)
- price: Free (paid in private centers)
Paid courses to learn how to develop games for Android
You can also resort to another type of courses, Usually taught remotely online, For which you will have to pay either for enrollment or for get a certificate indicating that you have met all the objectives of the marked curriculum.
Please note that some of these courses require certain knowledge in Android application development, Or in Java or other object-oriented programming languages.
Specialized program: Game Design and Development
In this 100% online course, you will learn to build video games obtaining theoretical and technical knowledge, using the Unity 3D engine to bring your ideas to life.
floating them four months duration of this specialization, you go to create four different games using the Unity3D editor, designing different levels and programming in C #.
Finally, you can create a final project in which your goal will be to create an original game, ready to be published.
While this specialization does not focus on creating games for Android, yes it is one of the best to get started in video game development with Unity. In addition, during one of its programs it contemplates the development of games for modern platforms, such as Web, Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.
- duration: 4 months approx.
- price: 41 euros per month
Game development with Unreal Engine 4 from 0 to professional
It’s one of the most popular video game development engines right now, and no wonder. Unreal Engine is the platform that gives life to titles like Fortnite, And its potential is immense.
With this course, you will learn how to use this graphics engine for create games for the most modern and popular platforms, Including techniques such as AI development, menu design, and advanced user interfaces and graphics.
When finished, the game will be ready for be published, Either on Steam or consoles, as well as on other platforms such as Google Play Store.
- price: 199.99 euros
- duration: 38.5 hours of video on demand
Free courses to learn how to develop games for Android
However, you don’t have to pay to learn how to develop your own Android games, and hopefully finish making money with them.
It is possible to find on the Internet courses and free documentation which will help you get started in this world of software development.
Getting Started with Unity
This free course is taught directly by the company behind Unity, So it has the information and the latest concepts you need to start your career as a mobile video game developer.
His curriculum contemplates the creation of your first video games, both 2D and 3D, Using one of the most popular video game engines in the world.
- price: Free
- duration: 1h 30
Android Game Development
While this is not a course as such, the people at Unreal offer us one lots of documentation intended for create our own Android games using its graphics engine.
In your learning program, we will get started configuring the Android SDK to start developing games using Unreal Engine, and we’re done learning how to launch our first game on the Google Play Store.
- price: for free
- duration: indeterminate
The video game industry is constantly changing by leaps and bounds. Therefore, the curricula and learning techniques that may be helpful today may become obsolete tomorrow.
For this reason, this guide will be updated frequently with new courses, centers or recommendations that can help you boost your career as a video game creator for the most used operating system on the planet. Similarly, you are interested to know what we have a similar guide on where and how to study Android application development that will also be very useful to you.
Related topics: Games, Technology